How to render a realistic virtual human

Discussion in 'Computer science & Electrical Engineering' started by iCyborg, May 31, 2007.

1. iCyborg

iCyborg i am a cyborg

We have been developing a low-cost motion capture system.
    I was assigned to write a program which uses the capture data to simulate the human motion.
    The result should be something like this (I mean the virtual human): http://people.csail.mit.edu/jovan/assets/movies/vlasic-2007-pmc.mp4

However currently I am kind of new in computer graphics, and don't know what should be learnt to design such a realistic virtual human.

So can any one suggest some resource (books, thesis, related to the deformation at the limb joints)? I am familiar with OpenGL and 3ds max.

Thank you so much.

2. aalborg

aalborg Thức Trong Giấc Ngủ

Hi ICyborg,
    I have used OpenGL to simulate some diffirerent kinds of robots, not humanoid or biped. It is one of cheapest ways to simulate moving objects under physical constraints. However, based on my experiences, OpenGL is useful if and only if you have to consider collision detection, motion planning ... because you have to code everything at the beginning (advantages of using triangles for collision detection, and open-source libs)
    As I had slightly a look at the video, I think guys at MIT and EFPL focused on the sensor fusion, (maybe data fusion) of multi-sensors more than graphical model that you are fond of doing.
    If your colleagues have to contribute for sensor, or datafusion, communication.... mainly and you only need to import their optimized signals of joint and link variables in order to virtualize a motion, OpenGL is not a good choice.
    Try to have a look Anybody (http://www.anybodytech.com/) (I have not tried yet but some guys in my uni are using this :))). It is very useful for Computer-aided Ergonomics & Eiomechatrics.
    Otherwise, Bencher is maybe a good choice since the tool is rather well-known and European Robotic Networks just made a call of the tool users :)) (I have not used yet :))
    Good luck!

3. iCyborg

iCyborg i am a cyborg

Many thanks to bro aalborg.

as you pointed out, the mit paper indeed introduced their idea of combining inertial and ultrasonic sensors for motion capture.
    We have our own way of capturing motion, and I don't have to concern about data processing since it belongs to my teammates. In fact we had a model with cylinder links and spherical joints to reconstruct human motion. However as you can imagine the model is not realistic. So I need to develop a more impressive model. I was looking around and found the great work of mit people. The video is just a sample of what I have to design. And I know that it's related to deformation effect. But as i mentioned, i am a mechanical guy, hence not good in comp graphics. I read several papers on deformation but didn't get their points. So I thought i need some basic knowledge to understand the algorithms.

I took some looks through the software you recommended. But it's kind of off-the-shelf program. The outputs from our MoCap system are not compatible to their inputs (same thing happens to 3ds max, and Maya). That's why for the future comfort, we need our own codes.

Does anyone have other ideas?

By the way, I happened to read through most of the SIGGRAPH papers in recent years. I can't find any unimpressive one. Kudos! My bow of respect!

4. cuchuoi

cuchuoi Củ chuối

It need a lot of expensive equipments. I guess.

5. aalborg

aalborg Thức Trong Giấc Ngủ

ICyborg, have a look at the site http://www.miralab.unige.ch/. Hope you can find some interesting things.
    as mentioned, a realistic virtualization of human motion is depended on not only graphical model but also real time captured input data. Don't forget to create a reliable kinematics model of your humanoid, and evaluate data captured and pre-processed by your teammates. For sure you can not release a fantastic model if data input is not well supported :) (you are implementing the last part on the process of a huge project so you might be dependable on your friends' results :)))
    Finally, you may optimize your code to speed up rendering the motion (I had a trouble of code optimization when I coded for a motion planning algorithm:)))
    Good luck!

6. iCyborg

iCyborg i am a cyborg

This post really helps.
    Thanks!